Sunday, January 24, 2016

My first Falafel - success!

Inspired by this recipe, I decided to try making my own falafels.



I made a few changes, as usual.  On the whole, a resounding success.


1 cup of dry chickpeas
1 cup fava beans (lightly crushed and skins winnowed)


  • Soak at least 24 hours with several changes of water.


1 leek
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons salt
2 Tbs flour
1 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch cardamom

Toasted whole then ground spices
3 pepper corns
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander


  • Drain the beans, mash them up with all the other ingredients
  • form into falafel shapes (which happens to be the same shape as a large spoon) and deep fry medium heat



Affordable?  Yep.  I can buy three falafels for a dollar in the shop, or I can make this huge pile of falafels for the same amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment