Just writing this here before I forget. Made it this morning with all the things I thought would be good for healing a cold. Recipe by intuition. Very tasty.
Garlic - add lots of garlic, then add a couple cloves more
green chili pepper (finely chopped)
turmeric - not too much or it overpowers the dish
- rinse the mung beans and leave them to soak while you get the rest ready
- Dry fry the cumin until fragrant. Crush the spice and put to one side
- Chop the garlic fine and fry on medium low with the ghee.
- Add the green chili, cumin and tumeric (NOT the salt) to the garlic, stir for a few moments.
- Drain the beans, add them to the garlic and spice. Add water to cover beans. Bring to boil and simmer until beans are mushy. Don't add too much water at first. It's nicer if the soup isn't too watery. But keep an eye on it and add water as needed.
- Now you can add the salt. Adding the salt earlier makes it longer for the beans to cook. Salt to taste.