Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Vegetarian Vindaloo while camping


Having been camping twice now this summer, I have discovered that after being outside all day, even on a hot day, it is really nice to have a warm and wholesome dinner.



For the group I made vegetarian vindaloo with sourdough bread (both nettle and regular sourdough), home made wine sauerkraut and cucumber salad.  

The vindaloo included onions, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, and chickpeas.  The cucumber salad - my personal favourite - was cucumbers, shallots, salt and white balsamic vinegar.  The most difficult aspect of this was to make something that everyone could eat - we had quite a collection of allergies in our group.

It worked out to be $3 per adult - which was a bit steep I admit.  However, I used organic veg, not all of which were in season, and when you factor the salads and the spice mix into the price, it adds up quickly.  

This time I made the curry (with help from The Captain) the day before heading camping, packed it in a big giant bucket, and then heated it up on site.  Next time, if I make it in advance like this, I will store it in two or three smaller buckets, and only heat up one at a time instead of the whole thing at once.  That way if people don't want it all, then it's easier to keep it for lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment