Thursday, April 10, 2014

Seed Library


Lately I've been so busy preparing food, that I haven't had much time to write.  Well, by preparing food, I mean this...



I'm not going to eat worms, but I wouldn't starve if that's all there was.  What I'm doing is digging the garden for spring planting.  Over the winter these lovely little soil dwellers have been transforming compost into soil for me.  Now that the soil is ready, it's time to start thinking about seeds.



Our local library service and LifeCycles have got together to create a seed library.  I've read about seed banks where you get a few seeds, plant them in the ground, select the best that grow and let them go to seed.  When you collect the seeds, you keep some for next year, and the rest you send back to the seed bank.  This Seed Library is a lot like that, only a bit closer to home.

What I really like about this is the sense of community it provides.  You know that the seeds you save and share might be going to your neighbour next year, or the person who runs the little shop down the road, or that person who stopped and helped you out when you had a flat tire, or.... That's why this idea works so well with the Library service.  Instead of borrowing books, we are 'borrowing' seeds.  It keeps things in the local community which I think is a feeling that the large seed banks don't have.

There is a big Launch/lunch tomorrow (Aprl 11, 2014), in the Central Library Branch courtyard, right downtown Victoria.  I wish I could go, but I have to go see a man about some moths.  But I'll be participating and doing my part to help maintain the seeds in the community.



No comments:

Post a Comment