Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Kitchen Failure - The fate of the mystery roast

The one thing I didn't anticipate when it comes to living on a farm, is how many people pay you in meat.  It's not just chickens for the doctor (although I'm guilty of that when I didn't have enough funds to pay for my medical treatment), but it's goat liver in exchange for leasing pasture, mystery roast for being a good neighbour, and no end of salmon, both smoked and fresh.

Pretty sure this mystery roast was moose, although I didn't have a chance to label it before it went in the freezer.  My hunter neighbour friend isn't very good at labelling, and when he does, it's usually in a Eastern European Language I don't read.  It's a very lean cut of very red meat, so I treated it the same as I do any lean roast.

In a Dutch oven, I brown it in some bacon fat, cover with bacon, chop up an onion for the pan and poor in some red wine.  Then in the oven it pops for about 2 hours at 300F.  This works great for a 2 to 3 lb roast, and usually goes over really well.

It does not, however, work for a 1lb roast.  The meat transformed into some sort of cross between a rock and petrified wood!  Complete Kitchen Failure!

after much effort,
managed to saw through the roast with a very sharp knife

But don't fear, there is a way to save this meat!  Just cool it to room temperature, then cover it and put it in the fridge till tomorrow.  I've got the perfect recipe to transform this from Kitchen Failure to Kitchen Savour.    But that post will have to wait for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment