Friday, September 27, 2013

Kombucha and Viili cultures, 22 hours in

22 hours after I started my Kombucha and Viili cultures, it's time to check in and see how things are growing.

The Viili yoghurt is starting to thicken as you can see when I slightly tip the bowl.  However, it's still too runny, so it will go back to sitting on my dresser - I have it in my bedroom because the kitchen is busy today and I don't want to get jostled and spilt. It's also easier to avoid temperature fluctuations in a smaller room.

The instructions said it will take between 24 to 48 hours (possibly longer) to set, so I'm going to check it every 2 hours or so from now on.  But I suspect it has a long way left to go.

The Kombucha is not doing much yet.  Hopefully you can make out the mother in the photo.  It's the lighter coloured blob in the jar, at an almost vertical angle.  There are a few whips of light coloured tentacle like objects expanding upward off the Kombucha mother.  If I read correctly, this is a good thing as it means the mother is making a daughter.

The colour of the tea has darkened, and the fruit flies are frustrated that they cannot get past the cloth protecting the tea.

Just a faint tea like smell, barely registers.

No comments:

Post a Comment