Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Using South River Chickpea Miso to make yaki onigiri

For a person like me, with soy allergies and an almost obsessive love of Japanese food, finding a soy-free miso paste is a real joy.  Almost as much fun as learning how to use it.

I'm starting to enjoy using this chickpea miso to make soup, but what I really want it for is to make sauces to cook other things with.  Time to try some soy free yaki-onigiri.

The miso pastes is quite chunky.  This can be useful, but not for making a smooth sauces.  So I took a small amount in a bowl and mashed it with the back of a spoon.  Not the best consistency, but smooth enough for my purposes.  


as you can see, the paste includes flavourful chunks
and the occasional whole pea
I put a few drops of sake in with the miso and mixed it very well.  This really intensified the flavour of the miso and added a whole other dimension to the taste.

Next, I made some onigiri with tuna-mayo filling.  I choose two of them for frying and spread the miso paste evenly on the large sides.  Then fried them like cookingwithdog does in her onigiri video.



Somehow, my yakionigiri always falls apart these days.  What a dog's breakfast I made of frying that eh?

The miso paste cooks really fast, so keep an eye on it.  The taste of the South River miso is pretty good on yaki onigiri.  Maybe if I could get the hang of cooking it better, then it would taste better.  This is something I plan to try again, and again, and again, until I get the flavours and method right.


And a mid morning snack for two.  Two tuna-mayo onigiri, two yaki onigiri and some salted cucumbers with a few drops of lime juice massaged in.




No comments:

Post a Comment